Most of my meals, I try to limit the meat to 1-2 pounds max. This spaghetti sauce is great for times of little meat on hand. I serve it over gluten free pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. My husband likes to eat this by itself with grated cheese on top for a low carb option. You will surprised how much food this recipe makes. The eggplant really bulks it up.
- 1 eggplant (You can keep the skin on. No need to peel.)
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1-2 zucchinis
- 1 onion
- 1 25 oz jar of favorite pasta sauce (make sure it has no added sugar or processed oils like canola or vegetable oils. I like this one from Aldi.)
- 3-4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- Chop all vegetables.
- Add oil to pot and turn oven on to medium heat.
- Add onion and eggplant. Saute until onion becomes translucent and eggplant looks mushy.
- Add ground meat. Cook until meat is brown.
- Add zucchini, pasta sauce thyme, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add garlic and more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan
This is a great freezer meal before a baby comes! Let sauce completely cool, then transfer to a freezer safe container. Keep in freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw and warm on stove top to reheat.