I have a super easy pasta recipe for you today! I try to keep pasta to once a week but honestly, it is so tempting to make it every night. Pasta is so stinking cheap and filling! Even though I try to keep most dinners lower carb for my hubby, I feel like one high carb meal once a week won’t kill him. Especially since most nights consist of omelettes or chicken with a salad or roasted veggies. It is nice to have a little variety. (You can easily make this gluten free by using gluten free pasta but I am not sure about the amount of water you should use. You may need to drain the water since gluten free pasta needs more water due to the higher starch content.)
- 1 box (1 lb) 100% whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 onion
- 3 zucchini (or summer squash or a mix of both)
- 1 cooked chicken breast chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cups pesto
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Dice onion and squash and saute until onion is translucent. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta. Cook until pasta is done and water is absorbed.
- Add cooked chicken and stir in pesto.
Here is the price breakdown:
- Organic 100% whole wheat pasta at Aldi- $.99
- 1 Chicken breast at Costco- $23 for the pack- $1.91 per a chicken breast
- 2 zucchini and 1 summer squash at Aldi- $0.99
- onion at Aldi- $1.69 for 6- $0.28 for 1
- Pesto at Costco- $4.99- 3/4 cup= $1.50
For a grand total= $5.67! And there is enough left for 1 person’s lunch tomorrow…I get first dibs!